The term ablactation is not recognized by the Royal Spanish Academy (RAE ); Therefore, it is not part of your dictionary. Its use, however, is frequent in the field of pediatrics to refer to gradual process that allows the inclusion of other foods beyond breast milk In a child's diet.
Ablactation, in this way, allows the baby start receiving other nutrients that are not present in the mother's milk, beyond the great importance of this food for the growth of children. It is a procedure that is part of the natural growth of the human being .
Usually, ablactation begins when the baby is between four and six months of life. The launch of the process In any case, it depends on the indications made by the pediatrician according to the physical characteristics of the baby.
Broadly speaking, it can be said that the doctor usually suggests the onset of ablactation when the child no longer has the extrusion reflex (which leads him to expel the solid elements that are inside his mouth) and evidence a production of saliva which confirms that your digestive system can already receive other types of food besides breast milk. The baby, on the other hand, must have the ability to sit and control the movements of his head.
Offer one food at a time, allow them to get used to the texture and consistency and not forcing him to eat are some of the suggestions made by specialists for successful ablactation.
Since ablactation is a change important characteristics of children's nutrition, it is necessary to take into account that it causes certain immune, microbiological, nutritional and even psychological adjustments . Precisely, it is not a process by which breastfeeding is abruptly interrupted to ingest other products, but there must be a smooth and supervised transition at all times.
Among the reasons why mothers should not stop breastfeeding their children during the ablactation process are some Benefits , in addition to the contribution of nutrients, such as a greater stimulation of digestion and an increase in defenses against various infectious diseases that usually appear at this stage. Simply put, breastfeeding the child while solid foods are incorporated is the best combination to get good physical and psychological development .
There are certain basic rules that most professionals in the Health They recommend mothers to respect throughout the process of ablactation:
* In addition to not adding more than one food at a time, it is important not to mix them;
* Give the child a period of two or three days to get used to each new food. At the same time, this serves to make sure that tolerate Correctly;
* related to the previous step, if there is a rejection of a particular food, then we must leave it and try another. The same goes for proportions;
* give the child first breast milk and then soft food;
* Ablactation must include foods of natural origin. For example, it is important to avoid products containing flavorings, preservatives and dyes;
* when cooking solid and semi-solid foods, we must dispense with any type of seasoning, such as salt and sugar;
* ensure that new foods are kept at room temperature, since hot or cold can cause rejection or even difficulties in carrying out the digestion .