From french editer, Edit is a verb which refers to to post a work through a printing or through other mechanisms. The concept is also used to name the process that allows to make a piece public , translating it into a physical or digital medium.
For example: "If everything goes well, next month I will edit my first book of poems", “Laurencio has many songs of his own, but he has no money to edit an album”, “They called me from the printing press: there was a problem and they couldn't edit the catalog”.
The publishing industry encompasses companies dedicated to book publishing. In our language the edition is associated with the publication, which does not occur in languages such as English (where it differs between edition and publishing).
This double use of the concept can lead to confusion, since editing is also the correction of a text and its adaptation to certain style standards. Editing a work, therefore, may not be the same as publishing it: “I have to edit three novels before the end of the year since the publisher wants them to go on sale in the summer”, “It took me a long time to edit the text because it was full of spelling errors”.
For the computing , to edit is to display a file on the screen to be able to modify it: “Tell Luis to start editing the photos that we will upload to the website”, "How do I edit the formulas in the spreadsheet?".
Also within the field of computing, editing a video or an audio recording means making a series of modifications, with the purpose of improving the content original and prepare it for publication or to make it more enjoyable to watch or listen to it.
Editing a video can include some of the following actions, or all of them, depending on the needs of each case:
* alter its duration, both shorten and extend it. To achieve the latter, in turn, it is possible to add images, sections of text, repeat sections of the video original or combine it with scenes from other captures;
* add background music, either seeking to enrich the sound of the filming, or by completely eliminating its original audio. This is very common in videos that do not focus on living beings, but on buildings or cities, for example;
* similar to the previous point, use certain sounds to accentuate different moments of the video, whether to create suspense, humorous moments or highlight the tenderness of some scenes, among many other possible reasons;
* place graphic objects such as dialog balloons with funny messages, stars, hearts or frames. This is usually used when editing home videos or to decorate content that will be displayed in an intimate context, family and friends;
* remove the background and change it to a static or animated image, or another video. For example, if a person is filmed on a plain colored canvas, it is very simple to make it appear to have been on the roof of an imposing building or on an island paradise.
While editing an audio recording has objectives in common with the newly listed, it is also carried out to:
* correct defects in the tuning of a instrument, how can the voice be;
* increase or decrease the intensity (usually called volume) of the different tracks that make up the recording;
* use environmental effects to accentuate the depth of the sound.
An issue, on the other hand, may be the holding a event which is carried out with a certain periodicity : “Welcome to the fourth edition of the National Summer Festival”, "The tennis player was consecrated in the ninth edition of the Olimpia Awards".